Herbs in the landscape

One of the easiest ways to turn your suburban home into a suburban homestead is to plant edible plants in place of traditional landscape plants.  Herbs are a great way to start!



Oregano, Thyme, and my Hamilton Beach Dehydrator

Before you get too carried away with plants, you'll want to invest in a food dehydrator.  This will allow you to use your herbs year-round.  I like to use mine freshly picked from the garden, but I also dehydrate a large amount for use in the off-season.  Note:  You will likely need to adjust your recipes depending on whether or not you are using fresh or dried herb.  In most cases, you'll use more of the fresh herb and less of the dried herb in recipes.   Generally speaking, dried herbs are more concentrated.

 I like the size of my Hamilton Beach Dehydrator, and I have used it for drying all sorts of food products from my garden.  (I've even used it to dry some veggies that I purchased from the grocery when my family couldn't eat them quickly enough!). I would definitely purchase this dehydrator again.  It would make a great gift for the gardener or foodie in your life as well!

  

(As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.) 

Chives are delicious and attractive.  Both the leaves and flowers are edible!

I plant oregano, thyme, lavender, and chives instead of planting more traditional plants in my landscape.

Want a low, creeping groundcover plant?  Try Thyme!
Want a bushier groundcover?  Try Oregano!
What an upright plant that can replace small grasses in pots?  Try chives!
What a small bushy plant with lovely flowers and delightful fragrance?  Try lavender!

All four of the plants listed above are perennials in my area (on the edge of zone 5b and 6a), and thrive in my yard.  In fact, Thyme, Oregano, and Chives are nearly plant and forget.  They are not fussy at all.  Lavender can be a bit fussy, but it is still an easy plant to grow.  Regardless, these are all edible and can be used in a wide range of culinary options - think about the wide array of salads, sauces, marinades, and drinks you can make!

If you want to get really adventurous, try planting Lemongrass.  It is an annual in my area, but looks great as a tall filler in pots and makes excellent tea.  It is also a staple in many Asian-inspired recipes!  I planted it in my front porch pot last summer and it thrived in full, hot sun right up until frost.  

Speaking of pots - you know the planting rule - thriller, filler, spiller?  Lavender (thriller/filler), spearmint (filler) and peppermint (spiller) are excellent in pots and windowboxes.  I planted peppermint on the ends of my window boxes several years ago, and it comes back year after year without invading yard.  Mint plants tend to spread rapidly, so it is best to plant them in pots.  This year, I have planted peppermint as the spiller in my patio pots, and I can wait to snack on the tasty leaves whenever I pass by the pots.  

Once you have grown your herbs, use gloves and comfy grip/spring loaded garden tools to harvest them.  Use them fresh or dehydrate them, and you will have lots of tasty meals to come!  Replacing those traditional landscape plants with herbs can really up your suburban homesteading game!



General information on growing your own food.

It is important to be sure that you are identifying the plants correctly, and it is always best to err on the side of caution. If you are unsure about whether a plant is edible, it is best to leave it alone.

Many plants have medicinal properties as well.  The properties could interact poorly with certain medications or health conditions.  Consult with your healthcare professional.  

This blog is for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. The information on this blog is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Always consult with a doctor before making any changes to your diet or lifestyle.

The author of this blog is not responsible for any damages or losses that may occur as a result of following the information on this blog. Do your due diligence when researching and growing plants.

Comments

Popular Posts